Status of residence
  • A new residency management system. Please click here
  • Checklist upon Graduation / Completion. Please click here
Health insurance plan
Opening an account at a bank/post office
Daily life


How many kinds of scholarships are available for application?

There are several scholarship programs available to international students. Upon the receipt of invitations for application to scholarships from relevant foundations/organizations, students will be informed via e-mail. Please click here


Is there a dormitory at the University of Aizu?

In order to assist international students in starting their daily lives in Aizu after their arrival, there is a dormitory for short-stay. The rent is about 10,000-15,000 yen per month, with the understanding that the student must leave the dormitory within 6 months.

How to find an apartment

Information on apartments is available at the Student Affairs Division, but does not offer services regarding mediation with apartment owners. Students are required to contact the relevant rent estate agent directly. Please consult with foreign personnel advisors for help in renting an apartment.

In general, there are private and public apartments. When moving into an apartment, most apartments in Japan require a Japanese guarantor for the prospective resident. Private apartments usually require Shikikin (security deposit) and Reikin (non-refundable key money to the apartment owner) to be paid before moving into the apartment. Public apartments (organized by Fukushima Prefecture and Aizu-Wakamatsu City) only require Shikikin, but require that residents live with other immediate family members.

You are strongly recommended to join the Comprehensive Renters Insurance for International Students Studying in Japan.

The comprehensive renters insurance for international students studying in Japan was established in March, 1999 with the following two aims. The first aim is to help international students find a guarantor when entering an apartment. The second aim is to reduce financial and other responsibilities of the guarantor. Therefore this insurance covers not only the compensation of accidental fires, etc. but also compensation when the guarantor must take responsibility for the students' unpaid rent. This wide coverage can appease hesitancy that university staff might have in becoming a guarantor of international students. Related link JEES

Important notice on renting an apartment in Japan

It is normally prohibited for any person other than the contracted resident to stay at the apartment. Therefore it may cause trouble if you stay at a friend's apartment or you let someone stay at your apartment without the permission of the owner. Please be sure to consult with the owner well in advance in this case.

Health insurance plan

Are there any health insurance plans for international students?

All people holding a visa status of "college student" are eligible to join the National Health Insurance Plan. By joining this plan, medical expenses will be reduced to 30% of actual expenses.

How to join the National Health Insurance Plan

Application for the national health insurance plan can be completed at the counter of the National Health Insurance and Pension Division at City Hall. Your seal, and your passport or residence card are necessary when applying. Premiums are approximately 14,000 yen per year for those students who have no income.

Opening an account at a bank/post office

How to open a bank account

When you open an account at a bank, you need to submit (1) your passport, (2) certificate of direction on alien registration ("Gaikokujin toroku genpyo kisai jiko shomeisho") issued at City Hall, and (3) your name seal. You can apply for an account at the counter of a bank by filling out an application ( A cash card/bank card can also be applied for at the same time. (Office hours are 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on normal working weekdays.)

How to open a postal savings account at a post office

When you open a postal savings account at a post office, you need to submit (1) your passport, (2) residence card, and (3) your name seal. You can apply for an account at the counter of a post office by filling out an application. A cash card/bank card can also be applied for at the same time. (Office hours for postal savings services are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on normal working weekdays.)

What do I need to do after being in Japan for six months?

Under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, banks are required to confirm that transactions such as exchange transactions conducted by non-residents do not fall under the category of regulated transactions, etc. Due to this confirmation process, as for domestic money transfers to non-residents who have been in Japan for less than six months, the funds may arrive in the recipients' bank accounts later than the scheduled payment dates.

However, the above does not apply if you request a change in your account settings hen you have fulfilled the requirements for resident status such as having been in Japan for six months. Therefore, please be sure to do so at the bank counters, bringing required documents.

Please click here (internal access only) for more information on how to change bank account settings at Japan Post Bank.

Daily life

How to classify garbage

Classification of garbage differs by municipality. Aizu-Wakamatsu City classifies garbage into four categories of (1) burnable, (2) non-burnable, (3) recyclable, and (4) bulky waste. Garbage is collected on designated days. For garbage in classifications (1) to (3), please take out to the garbage station by 8:30 am on the morning of the designated day. A specific garbage bag designated by the city must be used for the disposal of garbage (bags given at the supermarkets are also applicable). For more details, please click here

How to dispose of bulky garbage

When you would like to dispose bulky garbage such as furniture, etc., please contact the Recycle Section of the City Hall at 27-3961 at least one day before the designated collection day. The bulky garbage should be left in front of your house by 8:00 am on the designated collection day. The number of bulky garbage items is limited to 3 at one time.

An explanation of tax reports

For those who earn any income, please submit a tax report to the municipal tax office between February 16 and March 15 every year. If you have overpaid income tax, the difference will be refunded. Even if you do not have an income, submission of a simplified tax report to City Hall is strongly recommended. Simplified tax reports are accepted by post. This report may reduce the amount of the premiums you pay to the national health insurance plan.

Driving and Traffic Guidelines

  • Never drive without a license or drink and drive.
  • Do not exceed speed limits.
  • Wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle.
  • Do not carry a passenger on a bicycle or a 50cc motorcycle.
  • Cars, motorcycles and bicycles must be parked in a designated place.
  • When you are involved in a traffic accident, call 110 and the insurance company. Also contact University (Student Health and Welfare Services Section 0242-37-2515).

【Realated Link】 ・Driver's License and Traffic Regulations (CLAIR)  ・Traffic Safety Guidelines ( English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese)

Establishment of DRIO

Following 2011 Japan Earthquake occurred on March 11, we are happy to announce that all safety of all our international students. The University of Aizu established the special team, Disaster Recovery Information Office (DRIO) for UoA International Students. DRIO extends various supports for those international students who stay in Aizu and move out from Aizu temporary to evacuate so that they can return to normal life.

Support by DRIO

DRIO offers the following supports jointly with international student-related departments in the University and support organizations in the community.

  • Provision of accurate information regarding the earthquake and daily life in Aizu
  • Provision of information and consultation regarding academic affairs and student support to prepare for the next academic year
  • Provision of safety information for prospective students of other countries
  • Qs & As

DRIO Website

DRIO launched the website for international students to provide information regarding the earthquake and daily life in Aizu. It is also used for them to exchange opinions. We strongly recommend all international students to register the site for more up-to-date information.

URL of DRIO Website
How to Register
In order to access to this website, Google account is required.or you can create new account with the following URL.
You can use your own Google account if you already have.
Precaution for Use
DRIO Website categories three parts: Recent Announcement from UoA, FAQ/Discussion, Useful links for 2011 Japan Earthquake, and Life in Aizu. We hope to see some discussions in the FAQ/Discussion parts. Inappropriate expression and inaccurate information will be deleted by the website administrators.

We hope you to join the website and support each other with appropriate information.