- Department of Computer Science and Engineering/Division of Information Systems
- Web site
- Courses - Undergraduate
- Programming C, JAVA Programming, Artificial Intelligence
- Courses - Graduate
- Human Action Pattern Processing
- Pattern Recognition, Character Recognition, Image Processing, Computer Vision, Human Computer Interaction, Machine Learning, Neurological Disease Analysis
- Educational Background, Biography
- Mar. 1999 Ph.D. in Communication Engineering, Kyushu University, Japan. Apr. 1999 Associate Professor, the University of Aizu, Apr. 2004 Senior Associate Professor, the University of Aizu, Oct. 2019 Professor, the University of Aizu
- Current Research Theme
- Human computer interaction, Non-touch interface, Human gesture recognition, Automatic control, Parkinson’s disease diagnosis, ADHD diagnosis, User authentication, Machine intelligence, Handwriting analysis, recognition and synthesis.
- Key Topic
- Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, Human computer interaction, Gesture recognition, Pen-based interaction system, Real-time system, Handwriting recognition, Neurological disease analysis
- Affiliated Academic Society
- IEEE (Senior member), ACM, IEICE, KISS, KIPS
- Photograph, Tour
- School days' Dream
- Current Dream
- World Tour
- Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men. (Proverbs22:29)
- Favorite Books
- "The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality," Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson. "Guns, Germs and Steel: A Short History of Everybody for the Last 13,000 Years" Jared Diamond
- Messages for Students
- What should you do at the university? 1. Learn the way how to think (Knowledge and Wisdom). 2. Establish the point of view. 3. Prepare for your occupation.
- Publications other than one's areas of specialization
- Enneagram Leader Certification (9 types of Personality)
- Pattern Recognition, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Vision, Image Processing, Machine Intelligence,
His research interests include pattern recognition, character recognition, image processing, and computer vision. He is currently researching the following advanced fields: pen-based interaction system, real-time system, oriental character processing, mobile computing, computer education, human recognition, and machine intelligence.
Dissertation and Published Works
 J. Shin, H. Sakoe, "Stroke Correspondence Search Method for Stroke-Order and Stroke-Number Free On-Line Character Recognition --- Multilayer Cube Search,'' The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) Trans. Inf. & Syst. [SCI], vol. J82-D-II, No. 2, pp. 230-239, Feb. 1999.
 J. Shin, M. M. Ali, Y. Katayama, H. Sakoe, "Stroke Order Free On-line Character Recognition Algorithm using Inter-Stroke Information,'' The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) Trans. Inf. & Syst. [SCI], vol. J82-D-II, No. 3, pp. 382-389, Mar. 1999.
 J. Shin, "Optimal Stroke-Correspondence Search Method for On-Line Character Recognition," Pattern Recognition Letters (Elsevier Science) [SCI], Vol. 23, pp. 601-608, 2002.
 J. Shin, "Stroke Order- and Number-Free On-Line Character Recognition Using Intra- and Inter-Stroke Information," International Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems, Vol.6, No. 2, pp. 72-79, April, 2002.
 J. Shin, "On-Line Cursive Hangul Recognition that Uses DP Matching To Detect Key Segmentation Points," The Journal of the Pattern Recognition Society (Elsevier Science) [SCI], Vol.37, No. 11, pp. 2101-2112, Nov., 2004.
 J. Shin, K. Suzuki, A. Hasegawa, "Handwritten Chinese Character Font Generation Based on Stroke Correspondence," International Journal of Computer Processing of Oriental Languages [SCI], Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 211-226, Sept. 2005 (Awarded a best paper from 2004 Conference on Chinese Language Computing.).
 W. Chang, J. Shin, "Dynamic Positional Warping: Dynamic Time Warping for Online Handwriting," International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI) [SCI], Vol.23, No.5, pp. 967-986, July. 2009.
 W. Chang, J. Shin, "A Statistical Handwriting Model for Style-Preserving and Variable Character Synthesis," International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition (IJDAR) [SCI], Vol. 15, No.1, pp. 1-19, March. 2012.
 J. Shin, T. Okuyama, "Detection of Alcohol Intoxicated via Online handwritten Signature," Pattern Recognition Letters [SCI], Vol. 35, pp. 101-104, Jan. 2014,
 H. Liao, C. Lu, J. Shin, "The incorporation of GPS and IP Cameras for People Tracking," GPS Solutions [SCI], Vol 16, Issue 4, pp. 425-437, 2012.
 T. Murata, J. Shin, “Hand Gesture and Character Recognition Based on Kinect Sensor,”International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks [SCI], Vol. 2014, Article ID 278460, July 2014.
 C. Chen, J. Shin, W. Tsaur, C. Gong, L. Zhao, "A SaaS-Model-Based Approach to an Environment Monitoring System," Journal of Internet Technology, (ISSN 1607-9264), [SCI], Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 347-359, Mar. 2017.
 J. Shin, K. Maruyama, C. Kim, "Signature Verification Based on Inter-Stroke and Intra-Stroke Information", ACM Applied Computing Review (SIGAPP), Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 26-34, March, 2017.
 H. Mun, S. Hong, J. Shin, "A Novel Secure and Efficient Hash Function with Extra Padding against Rainbow Table Attacks", Cluster Computing (Springer) [SCI], pp. 1-13, May, 2017.
 S. Jan, Y. Lee, J. Shin, I. Koo, "Sensor Fault Classification Based on Support Vector Machine and Statistical Time-Domain Features," IEEE Access [SCI], Vol. 5, pp. 8682-8690, May, 2017. Impact factor : 4.098.
 J. Shin, C. Kim, "Non-touch Character Input System Based on Hand Tapping Gestures Using Kinect Sensor", IEEE Access [SCI], Vol. 5, pp. 10496-10505, May, 2017. Impact factor : 4.098.
 C. Chen, J. Shin, Y. Tsai, A. Castiglione, F.o Palmieri,“Securing information exchange in VANETs by using pairing-based cryptography," the International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science [SCI], June, 2017.