October 10, 2023
The University of Aizu is seeking outstanding and innovative persons in the field of Mathematics or in the field of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) close to Mathematics from academia and industry. The School of Computer Science and Engineering invites applications for faculty positions at our bilingual university.
Faculty should be able to teach undergraduate and graduate courses and conduct research in their areas of expertise. Applicants should also have a strong interest in working with other faculty members and promoting university-industry relations through cooperative research projects and other activities, such as preparation of entrance examination mathematics problem-set. Applicants with teaching experience are preferred.
The University values the diversity of gender, nationality, etc., and welcomes applications from people with diverse backgrounds, not only from academia but also from industry.
Preferred employment starting date:
April 1, 2024, but this is negotiable.
Number and ranks of faculty to be hired:
1, All ranks
Submission Package (in English):
|2.||Curriculum Vitae (Use the specified template)||
Download Curriculum Vitae Template
|3.||Copies of your three best-published papers|
Three current letters of recommendation in English with contact information(name, affiliation, e-mail, and phone number)
Please submit letters of recommendation in one of the following ways.
|5.||Copies of university diplomas|
|6.||A list of possible courses to teach||
*For the undergraduate courses, please refer to;
*For the graduate school courses, please refer to;
All documents should be submitted electronically via the following system.
November 30, 2023
Office for Planning and Management
The University of Aizu
Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima 965-8580, Japan
Qualifications for all fields:
1. Ph.D. or equivalent in Mathematics. Doctoral students close to graduation may apply, but the degree is required by the start of employment.
2. Ability to lecture and provide research guidance at undergraduate and graduate levels. We welcome applications from scientists with strengths or understanding in CSE as well.
3. Full fluency in English or Japanese is required. If fluent only in Japanese, then a working knowledge of English is desirable. Classes can be conducted either in English or in Japanese at the undergraduate level, but the ability to teach in English is desirable. The language of instruction at the graduate level is English in principle.
Required expertise in research and education for different fields:
We are searching for new faculty who have research and teaching experience in Mathematics or closely related CSE. Successful candidates are expected to contribute to all academic aspects of the university, including teaching, supervising undergraduate and graduate students, serving on administrative and management committees, and conducting research.
[NOTE] Past applicants are also welcome. Please apply with your most recent application package.
Three-year tenure-track appointment followed by evaluation and tenure until the mandatory retirement age of 65 if qualified.
Duty hours: 7 h 45 min/day, 38 h 45 min/week. (*The UoA uses a discretionary working hour system for faculty members. As discretionary workers, faculty are in principle given discretion to the start and end of their workday, the content of their teaching and research duties, the methods for carrying out those duties, and the allocation of time related to such duties.)
Salary and rank: Commensurate with qualifications and experience according to regulations.
*Annual salary (*1, *2) and rank:
- Full Professor（教授）: approx. 6,500,000 － 9,000,000 yen
- Senior Associate Professor（上級准教授）: approx. 5,500,000 － 7,500,000 yen
- Associate Professor（准教授）: approx. 5,000,000 － 7,000,000 yen
(*1) Other allowances are paid in addition to the base salary.
(*2) Social security premiums, taxes, etc. will be deducted from the salary.
Holidays: Weekends, National holidays, and Year-end and New Year holidays (Dec. 29 to Jan. 3)
- Insurance: Japan Mutual Aid Association of Public School Teachers
- Pension and severance payment systems are in place
- Subsidized furnished/unfurnished housing in faculty apartments (2.5 km from campus)
- Very large, well-equipped private office (approx. 27 m2) in a modern building
- New-employee allowance for computer and research equipment
- Well-equipped, high-tech classrooms
- The annual budget for research, business travel, academic memberships, etc.
- Consulting and other business activities permitted
- Subsidy on the overseas moving costs to Aizuwakamatsu(according to regulations)
Primary selection: documentary evaluation
Candidates will be informed by e-mail after the primary selection
Secondary selection: job interview and presentation (Online presentations are possible depending on the situation)