Purpose of Establishment
Nowadays, we often hear the term, "compliance," in the context of prevention of inappropriate conduct at companies or other organizations. Translation of this term has been changed from the meaning, "compliance with relevant rules," to "activities by relevant organizations in compliance with relevant rules and maintenance of an environment facilitating compliance with these rules to cover a broader range regarding compliance. Our University started its new history as a public university corporation in April, 2006, and mid-term goals and plans for the coming 6 years were set up and management and operation of the University was initiated for realization of these goals. For realization of the University's goals, it will be very important for all University personnel, including all of its executives and employees, to share understanding of the missions and goals of the University and do their best in taking individual work responsibilities toward this end. Under these circumstances, establishment of a "code of conduct" is essential as a guideline and standard for executives and employees to put this into practice while carrying out their work duties.
For realization of the mission and goals of the University, we, the personnel including the executives and employees, shall act in accordance with the following code.
- Abide by laws and rules.
- We, the executives and employees, shall observe rules and the university corporation regulations in a lawful manner, comply with the norms of society, and act with sound judgment as members of society.
- Maintain high ethical norms both as educators and researchers.
- We, educators and researchers, shall carry out research, disclose research achievement results, and properly utilize research budgets provided, while maintaining high ethical norms.
- Increase student satisfaction.
- We, the executives and employees, shall put students first and concentrate our efforts to advance quality of education and research.
- Properly perform risk management in order to maintain trustworthiness of the University, and protect its assets.
- We, the executives and employees, shall take the importance of risk management seriously and strive to prevent trouble that may degrade trust in the University.
We shall also properly and efficiently take care of the University's resources and duly protect intellectual property of the University.
- Endeavor to maintain and improve the working environment.
- The individual personality of each executive and employee must be respected to realize a safe and user-friendly working environment.
- Contribute to local communities.
- We must realize that promotion of university-industry cooperation is a duty that universities should fulfill for society, and strive to contribute to vitalization of industry and advancement of culture.
- Promote international relations.
- In order to realize world-class education and research, students as well as faculty members shall be proactively invited and accepted to the University to vitalize international exchange, cooperation and joint activities.
- Actively disclose information.
- Relevant information shall be disclosed in a proactive manner to gain public understanding and credibility in the University.
- Ensure fair relationships with business partners.
- Business partners shall be selected fairly for unbiased dealings.
Six Important Points on Conduct for Fulfillment of the University's Mission and Goals
We, the University personnel, including all its executives and employees, shall behave honestly and with dignity in the course of fulfillment of the mission and goals of the University in compliance of the University of Aizu Code of Conduct, keeping the following six points in mind.
Whether or not our conduct:
- meets high ethical norms both as educators and researchers.
- responds properly to needs in local, national and international communities.
- considers students' viewpoints.
- violates relevant laws and/or the University Corporation Regulations.
- strays from the mission and/or the University Corporation Regulations.
- goes against social decency and/or ethics.